Thursday, November 19, 2009

I Felt Like A Real Freelancer Yesterday!


Yesterday morning, via a website I was researching for my YA novel, I got brave enough to email a nonfiction author and expert of Mesa Verde, with a real quick question- and now have corresponded with him several times and will be meeting with him personally. Gosh- they are real people too!
Did some more research, did some writing, worked on the lettering of a small illustration the deadline is coming soon and corresponded with the art director and ponder the roughs of my next project featuring a Navajo grandma and granddaughter- who I saw the inspiration for in the "Pet Aisle" of Safeway. The little girl was about ten, long black hair in pigtails and the grandma was traditional with a long broomskirt, Keds and a whole lot of turquoise jewelery. I thought about sneaking a picture with my phone but wasn't brave enough, so just watched them for a moment and tried to memorize what they looked like.
I love my job!!!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it good to feel "real". I haven't felt that way in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia-- I love how you find inspiration in the people around you-- and I love that you love your job.

    I instantly pictured that little girl with her grandmother, and starting wondering about their lives. I love to fill in 'backstory' when I people-watch.

    ReplyDelete